Find us on Surprisingly Special

As of 2016, this blog, Pancakes in Bed, is no longer active. Please come find us at SurprisinglySpecial.com!!

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Tot School/Tot Play Tuesday: Letter N

I was looking back through my Tot School posts and I realized that I never wrote about the week we did the letter N! It was back around the time of Calvin's surgery in March. I didn't do the whole alphabet in letters-of-the-week, but we did all the letters in Calvin's name, plus just a couple more.

Here are the other posts on the letters in his name:

C    A     L     V     I


And here's how we played with the letter N!



Words that begin with N

I had to get a little creative to come up with enough items around the house that started with N. Hence the nametag ;)




Neon Noodles

I picked out some big fat rigatoni noodles because I knew they'd be easy to string onto a necklace. Then we colored them using rubbing alcohol and gel food coloring.

I put a handful of rigatoni into each plastic bag with a few drops of food coloring and a couple of tablespoons of rubbing alcohol. Then the kids helped me shake up the bags!





Once the noodles were covered in color, I spread them out on wax paper and let them dry overnight. The colors did run a little. 



Noodle Necklaces

With our colorful noodles, we did a little fine motor practice with stringing to make some pretty neon noodle necklaces!





Making the Letter N

We also used the neon noodles to decorate a big letter N. 


And to practice making the shape of the letter N, we used a little playdough. We used a cookie cutter to imprint an N onto the dough, and then I asked Calvin to line up some marbles following the zig-zaggy shape of the letter N. Also fine motor practice :)




So now we have Calvin's whole name! And it's been hanging in our kitchen since March!
#catchingup #betterlatethannever



No comments:

Post a Comment