Find us on Surprisingly Special

As of 2016, this blog, Pancakes in Bed, is no longer active. Please come find us at SurprisinglySpecial.com!!

Friday, August 30, 2013

Almond Flour Scones


The day before James' birthday I was sitting in the waiting room at our doctor's office waiting for Henry's check up and I was like Oh crap. I have to make birthday breakfast! I had almost forgotten about it! How could I forget birthday breakfast?!

Obviously I hadn't bought any special breakfast groceries and I seriously doubted my ability to make a crack-of-dawn bakery run because of the babies. I had to figure out something special that I could make with groceries we already had and I wanted it to be easy. Flipping pancakes while Calvin hangs onto my leg and whines does not qualify as easy. So I turned to my handy dandy "Breakfast" board on Pinterest and sighed with relief when I saw this flourless "scone" recipe from Delighted Momma.

The original recipe is for blueberry scones, but I did chocolate chip for birthday breakfast. Something a little more decadent. My version of the recipe is at the bottom of the post :)

Dry ingredients: almond flour, chocolate chips, unsweetened shredded coconut, sea salt,  baking soda
Wet ingredients: egg, honey

Mix wet + dry and you end up with very sandy feeling dough. Shape it into scones on a parchment lined baking sheet.


They only take 10 min. to bake! I was able to throw together the batter and have them in and out of the oven while Calvin was eating his Cheerios in his high chair. Whew!
Unfortunately, Calvin got bored before I was finished baking and poured milk all over his tray.
Guess he didn't want dry Cheerios.  *Facepalm*


____________________________________________________________________

Almond Flour Scones

  • 2 c. almond flour or almond meal (mine is from Trader Joe's... you can also make this by grinding raw almonds into a powder with a food processor!)
  • 1 c. add-in (chocolate chips, dried blueberries, dried cranberries... I used mini chocolate chips this time, but I've also made them with cranberries and they were great!)
  • 1/4 c. unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
  • 1/4 tsp. sea salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbs. honey (or agave syrup) 

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. 

Mix the almond flour, chocolate chips (or whatever your add-in is), coconut flakes, sea salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the egg with the honey (or agave).

Pour the egg and honey into the dry ingredients and mix it all up. It's really easiest to use your hands to make sure all the dry ingredients get a little wet. It's kind of a weird sandy dough.

On a parchment-lined baking sheet, form the weird sandy dough into whatever shape scones you would like. I made 6 circles about 4" in diameter. I thought about getting fancy with a cookie cutter and decided to take the easy way instead :) They won't change shape when you bake them.

Bake for 10 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. (I know, I know, they're already brown. They will get golden-er brown-er I promise.)
____________________________________________________________________



I love this recipe because it's easy and  yummy and as long as you use dried fruit instead of chocolate chips they are gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free. I have people in my life with those food sensitivities, so I'm always glad to have recipes up my sleeve that I can cook for them. Just keep them away from people with nut allergies!



No comments:

Post a Comment