Find us on Surprisingly Special

As of 2016, this blog, Pancakes in Bed, is no longer active. Please come find us at SurprisinglySpecial.com!!

Friday, January 17, 2014

Mug Muffins

Almost all the recipes I've posted are for breakfast... maybe I should learn to cook something for dinner that's worth sharing?? Anyway, it makes sense. I mean the blog is named after a breakfast food and breakfast is my favorite meal! So here's another one :)

I've been wanting to write a food post on these for a while, but I kept waiting until I made the perfect mug muffin that was nicely shaped and had a lovely and aesthetically pleasing distribution of fruit and oats. That never happened, so here go some imperfect photos of some imperfect muffins. Take my word for it that they taste yummy. Or better yet, make one for yourself!

We go through breakfast phases around here. For several weeks we ate these every morning. Then it was fried eggs. Then James started taking yogurt/fruit/granola in a mason jar to eat on the train and we started giving Calvin yogurt/fruit/cheerios and I stopped eating breakfast altogether. I think it's time to revive the mug muffins.

What I like about these is that not only are they quick and easy, you can pack them with great healthy grains and with an egg in each, they are also packed with protein.

Calvin's Blueberry Mug Muffin

Mama's Apple Cinnamon Mug Muffin

Here's how I make them:

The basic ingredients:
1/2 cup Rolled or quick oats
1/4 cup Fresh or frozen fruit
1 Egg
2 Tbsp Milk, any type
1 Tbsp Honey, agave syrup, or maple syrup

Optional add-ins:
Ground flax seeds
Chia seeds
Coconut oil
1-2 drops vanilla extract
Cinnamon
Other spices

Put all the ingredients, plus any add-ins you desire, into a mug, mix well and microwave for about 90 seconds, until it looks firm but shiny. Dump it out onto a plate. If it falls apart, put it back in the mug and back in the microwave. If it doesn't fall apart, let it cool and enjoy! I cut Calvin's into pieces so it's easier for him to eat by himself.

Notes:
- The microwave time depends on your microwave. Mine is a wimp and it takes like 2 1/2 minutes.
- The amounts depend on how big your mug is. You can tell from the pics that I made Calvin's in a smaller mug. I just eyeball the measurements. You just want to have more oats than fruit or it might fall apart, and enough oats to keep it from being too eggy.
- If you use banana as your fruit, you don't really need to add sweetener.

Bonus:
These are gluten-free, soy-free, and can easily be dairy-free if you use almond milk.




No comments:

Post a Comment