Find us on Surprisingly Special

As of 2016, this blog, Pancakes in Bed, is no longer active. Please come find us at SurprisinglySpecial.com!!

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Hey Food

Bib? Check. High chair? Check. Tiny BPA free dish? Check. BPA free sippy cup with with a tiny bit of filtered water? Check. Tiny baby spoon with the soft thingy over it? Check. Some kind of mushy, lukewarm vegetable? Check.

Since our tiny big boy is almost seven months old, we have ventured into the world of solid foods.


He looks way more excited than he really is about eating real food.

I was super excited about our choice for Calvin's first food: Avocado! A favorite of his dad's and mine, filled with healthy fat, and already smooth enough to not need pureeing! We captured this magical moment on video:


Hmmm... not quite the hit I'd imagined! Silly me, rookie mom, I thought he'd actually swallow some of it! It's a learning experience for both of us. I have started mushing the avocado more and mixing it with some of his formula until it's soupy. I also got him a sippy cup for water which seems to help him swallow the food. Or at least swallow more of it than he spits out. 




I am still pushing the avocado, and he seems to be getting used to it, but we've also given him applesauce (unsweetened, and mixed with formula) and some pureed cauliflower in chicken broth which was the base for a soup I made. 


Here's how Calvin really felt about my cauliflower soup.

We've also tried giving him slices of avocado to taste "Baby-led Weaning" style, but at this point, I think the only way he'll actually swallow any food is if it is mushed to a pulp and liquefied with the familiar taste of his formula. (Or breastmilk, but I have decided to gradually stop pumping so soon it will be just formula.)

Come on, Calvin! Who doesn't like avocado?? 

We want to help this tiny boy grow with some healthy food!



1 comment:

  1. P.S. The title of this post comes from a song by Cookie Monster and "The Beetles" which, unfortunately, seems to promote emotional eating.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eebE6dNehMc

    ReplyDelete