Find us on Surprisingly Special

As of 2016, this blog, Pancakes in Bed, is no longer active. Please come find us at SurprisinglySpecial.com!!

Friday, August 24, 2012

Smooshy Fruit and Nut Bars



My favorite part of being a stay-at-home-mom is morning time with my son. No matter how sleepless the night, I am a morning person by nature. Once Calvin is up for the day, I feed him, change him, and lay him in his bassinet while I make the bed, open the curtains, and get myself breakfast. Then I set up his "baby gym" in the middle of the bed and play and sing with him while I sip my coffee and eat my breakfast.



It helps to have a breakfast food that I can get quickly and eat with one hand. So I set out to find something I could make a whole batch of that would meet those criteria, plus be yummy and satisfying. I had come across a few blogger recipes for no-bake fruit bars and decided to give it a try. I used this recipe from White on Rice Couple and adapted it for what I already had in my pantry.

Here's my version:


  • 1 1/2 c chopped dried fruit (I used raisins, craisins, and apricots)
  • 1 1/2 c nuts (I used walnuts, hazelnuts, and almonds)
  • 1/2 c chopped dark chocolate (chocolate chips would've been easier, but I didn't have any)


You could use a food processor, but I just chopped it all by hand. 

  • 2T unsalted butter
  • 2T brown sugar
  • 1/2 c honey
  • 1/4 c Nutella
  • dash of salt

Melt all the mushy ingredients on the stove. Here's my makeshift double boiler.


Pour the sweet liquidy goodness over the chopped chunks and mix.

Line a pan with foil, butter the foil, and press in the smoosh. Sprinkle with a bit of salt.
Refrigerate for several hours.
When it's hardened, pop it out and cut it into bars... and nom!




Now the review: Delish, but Squish! 

First, these barely qualify as breakfast because they are so sugary sweet. But since they are so rich, one is quite satisfying and they are filled with fiber-ful fruit and nuts to keep me full for the morning. Plus the sugar gives me a boost for my morning jog.

Second, you gotta eat them straight out of the fridge and don't dilly-dally because if they melt even a little they fall apart in your hands. And you also have to just be ok with licking Nutella and honey off your fingertips. Which I am. Or else eat it with a fork. But that seems weird.

All in all, I still give them a thumbs up. Next time I think I will skip the Nutella and see if the honey holds them together a little better. Anyone have any tips on making these or something similar?

1 comment:

  1. Try these homemade Lara Bars from 100 Days of Real Food. They're good and easily customized. Joshua mixed dried cranberries in one batch and chocolate chips in another. Delicious! http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/07/01/recipe-homemade-larabars-4-ways-including-nut-free/

    ReplyDelete